I read that a ‘christian-right’ group, have commissioned a ‘independent poll’ on cannabis.. the results reportedly state that only 18% of kiwis support ‘lifting restrictions on recreational use’. The poll has these questions:
1) If Cannabis was less restricted, what would happen to use ? 49% Increase 6% Decrease 35% remain same 10% unsure/refused to answer
It then goes into breaking the figure down by: M/F, age, socio-economic & other demographics etc.
2) Are Tobacco companies pushing for Cannabis legalisation ? 22% Yes, 36% No, 42% unsure/refused
Also broken into similar demographic groups. This question is Totally Irrelevant (IMHO) to Cannabis reform !
3) Does cannabis damage brains, of young people, under 25 yrs ? 85% Y, 6% N, 9% unsure/refused
4) Impact of cannabis use by drivers on accidents ? 81% more likely, 4% less likely, 4% no diff., 10% unsure/refused
5) Impact of <25 yrs on getting a job ? 4% more likely, 63% less likely, 20% no diff., 13% unsure/refused
6) View on Cannabis ? 7% current restrictions remain, 65% lift restriction on Med-use only, 18% lift restriction Rec-use, 10% unsure/refused
It says, margin of error 3.1%
* The only questions/comments I would make:
a) who were the 'targets' of this poll: general public OR 'selected others' ?
b) do they really think that Law reform will extend to, legal use by everyone/anyone ? obviously there will be age restrictions.
Currently the Black-market will sell to anyone with Cash-in-hand, even children
c) do they really think that it will be legal to 'drive-high' ?
Many current 'stoners' likely already do, so will it increased Massively, as they suggest ? Overseas stats. reportedly, do not support this
d) obviously law reform focus will be on: Education & ensuring that people with 'Drug dependence' get help, not just 'Lock 'em up boys'.
What do they really think, law reform will do ?
e) If only 7% support 'status quo' (as the poll suggests) then, it looks like the rest of the stats. are deliberately 'skewing' the results to, make it look like only 18% of all kiwis, want laws on 'recreational use' to relaxed/amended.
f) I don't see a question 'Do you support both Medicinal/therapeutic & Recreational use (R18+) reforms ?'
*As has been clearly said (ad nauseum): You can collect data & manipulate/present it, in many different ways.. even in such a way, as to make it look like, it says the total opposite, to the 'widely accepted' reality OR are they really.. just trying to: add to the 'Moral PANIC' that they want to continue !?
**Many other recent polls, show that about 67%+ (two-thirds) of 'kiwis' would like to see the ADULT personal use of Cannabis to be, at least 'decriminalised' & perhaps even made Legal/regulated in some fashion (still to be finally decided). The biggest barrier (IMHO) to the 'Reeferendum'.. is perhaps: Apathy/lack of voter turnout !!?