At 11am on 11th November (11th month) 1918 (11/11/11).. the guns, finally fell silent.. ‘the War to End all wars’ armistice was declared. That was 100 years ago; but the War on cannabis has raged for most of this whole time in some form.. & still does !
1) 1919 the Alcohol prohibition started in USA, all ‘drugs’ came under scrutiny.. even ‘Marijuana’ (mexican slang name) aka Cannabis. Alcohol prohibition ENDED in 1933; same year LSD first became identified; as a DRUG of concern
2) 1927 The Dangerous Drugs act is passed in Aotearoa/NZ.. also in UK & other lands too. Mother Aubert passed away the year before
3) 1937 The ‘Marihuana (SIC) Tax act’ is passed into law in USA
4) 1961 The U.N. Single convention (all-encompassing, global, prohibitionist) is passed.. mostly pushed by ‘USA delegate HJ Anslinger’ (ex-Alcohol prohibition Cop)
5) 1970 (?) RM Nixon declares ‘WAR ON DRUGS’ with Heroin & ‘Marijuana’ (schedule #1) as the main targets
6) 1979 many folks get arrested for cannabis offences.. 😦
7) 1978 onward.. Holland regulates cannabis: Coffeeshops; nice place to visit, if you can 🙂
8) 2001 Canada regulates medicinal cannabis at the National/Federal level.. they recently did likewise for personal use
9) 2006 NZ parliament passed a law to allow ‘Industrial Hemp‘ to be licensed/grown
10) 2009 a Green party bill, fails first reading in Parliament of NZ
11) 2011 NZ Law commission issues their report on NZ Drug laws; calls for ‘further relaxation’ beyond ZERO-tolerance
12) 2013 The NZ Govt. introduce & pass the ‘Psychoactive substance act’ regulating ‘Synthetic cannabis’ & other ‘Legal highs’.. natural cannabis & other covered by MODA 1975 are denied access to this model
13) 2017 there is a change of Govt. in Aotearoa/NZ; they agree to amend the Medicinal cannabis policy & allow a ‘Reeferendum’ before next general election in 2020.. Thx Greens/NZF/Lab. “Bring it on !!”
14) 2018 a Greens med-use reform bill fails again (#2-3 ?).. BUT; a Govt. med-use bill is introduced to NZ parliament & passes first reading
15) 13/11/18 we still wait for genuine reform & hear the ‘naysayers’ still pushing ‘prohibitionist Rhetoric’ for whatever reasons..
Meanwhile: 29 USA states allow Med-use/9-10 allow personal use, Much of EU allow Med-use.. some also personal use too, Portugal decrim. all drug use (called ‘a gold standard’ for health reform), about half Aust. states allow some kind of use; Med/Personal-decrim., Israel leads the world on Medicinal/Therapeutic research, Uruguay allow use at the national level, Jamaica has a regulated market; Marley-brand etc., UK allow CBDs to be sold as health supplements & Specialists to prescribe ‘approved Med. products’.. also there is talk of allowing ‘adult social clubs’.. we just wait
I admit there are other regimes that still do.. ZERO-tolerance, mostly in Asia where drug use is more rampant, but is prohibition making it better or WORSE ?
I also believe there was a ‘hundred years war’ in the middle-ages, but that also ended.. BUT; we just wait & wait…………… 😦